Federal money coming for high-tech R&D
Published: September 18,2009
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) announced the release of more than $14.1 million in federal funding to advance high-tech research and development in Mississippi with the objective of creating more jobs for the state.
Four different grants have been issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), an agency within the U.S. Department of Commerce. The funding, requested by Cochran as part of the FY2009 appropriations process, became law earlier this year as part of an omnibus appropriations bill.
The following NIST grants were awarded:
• Mississippi State University Research Technology Corp., Starkville — $6.5 million to support the development of a research, technology and economic development park
• University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson — $6.5 million to support the development of a biotechnology research park
• University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg – $1 million to support the USM National Formulation Science Laboratory initiative to create, develop and commercialize new technology for advanced materials
• Mississippi Technology Alliance, Ridgeland — $124,000 to continue support for the Alliance through the Manufacturing Extension Partnership Program (MEP), which advance domestic manufacturing
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Federal money coming for high-tech R&D”
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur