SoS seeking information from plot owners
Due to the inconsistent and incomplete recordkeeping of pre-need trust accounts in the four cemeteries owned by Don Middleton of Rogers Memorial Management and currently in receivership, the Office of the Secretary of State will hold public information gathering meetings across the State to compile more accurate account information.
“Don Middleton has depleted the trust account, abandoned the cemeteries, and left Mississippians and the state looking for ways to fill the hole,” said Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann. “We are asking for all customers to come forward with their account information to determine exactly how much money should be in the preneed trust and what contractual obligations exist.”
Last month, the Office of the Secretary of State was named receiver of four cemeteries formerly owned and operated by Middleton, due to a misappropriation of pre-need trust funds. Those cemeteries include Prentiss Memorial Park in Baldwyn, Sunset Gardens Memorial Park in Laurel, Liberty Memorial Park in Booneville and Pinecrest Memorial Park in Pittsboro.
“We are asking customers who have purchased pre-need plans from the four cemeteries to bring their contract purchase information and copies of their payment history to leave with Secretary of State representatives,” said Hosemann. “Even if you have already provided your information to the Office of the Attorney General, we are asking customers to come and update their information into our system. This information is critical to the court and some resolution of this matter.”
For particulars on the meetings, call (601) 359-9055.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino