Grant to build railroad spur
Published: September 24,2009
HORN LAKE, Miss. (AP) – A $1.1 million economic development grant will be used to build a railroad spur line that will service the expansion of Newly Weds Foods in Horn Lake.
Officials say the project will create 20 jobs and help save 300 other jobs throughout DeSoto County.
U.S. Rep. Travis Childers, D-Miss., announced Wednesday that the grant from the Economic Development Administration will pay for the rail spur and infrastructure improvements to handle the expansion of the Horn Lake plant.
Newly Weds Foods bought the Horn Lake plant from the old Flavorite Laboratories in 2000.
The Chicago-based plant produces a number of products, including food coatings, seasonings, breading and ingredients for food processing and the food service industry.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur