Grant to build railroad spur
Published: September 24,2009
HORN LAKE, Miss. (AP) – A $1.1 million economic development grant will be used to build a railroad spur line that will service the expansion of Newly Weds Foods in Horn Lake.
Officials say the project will create 20 jobs and help save 300 other jobs throughout DeSoto County.
U.S. Rep. Travis Childers, D-Miss., announced Wednesday that the grant from the Economic Development Administration will pay for the rail spur and infrastructure improvements to handle the expansion of the Horn Lake plant.
Newly Weds Foods bought the Horn Lake plant from the old Flavorite Laboratories in 2000.
The Chicago-based plant produces a number of products, including food coatings, seasonings, breading and ingredients for food processing and the food service industry.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- College Board gives Keenum contract extension, raise
- Humana and Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation partnering
- Six out of eight universities could have higher tuitions in 2015
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M for using SkyTel technology
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three