DMR to cut oyster-harvesting licenses
BILOXI — The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (DMR) is developing a plan to limit the sale of oyster licenses for the 2009-2010 oyster season. The plan is a result of a motion passed at this month’s Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources (CMR) meeting.
The CMR motion states: “If it is determined that there is an unusual increase in the oyster license sales, and it is determined that it is necessary to conserve the fishery resource, the executive director is authorized to suspend the issuance of oyster licenses through the end of the 2009-2010 oyster season. Furthermore, if such action is taken by the executive director, a report shall be presented to the commission at the following meeting, at which time the commission may take such action as deemed necessary.”
The plan will limit the number of commercial oyster licenses available for sale in each of the four major categories — resident dredging, resident tonging, out-of-state dredging and out-of-state tonging. The license sales limits established, based on past license sales by category, had not been met as of Sept. 24.
Oyster harvesters that have not already done so are encouraged to purchase a current license to ensure their continued ability to participate in this year’s oyster season.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form