DMR to cut oyster-harvesting licenses
BILOXI — The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (DMR) is developing a plan to limit the sale of oyster licenses for the 2009-2010 oyster season. The plan is a result of a motion passed at this month’s Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources (CMR) meeting.
The CMR motion states: “If it is determined that there is an unusual increase in the oyster license sales, and it is determined that it is necessary to conserve the fishery resource, the executive director is authorized to suspend the issuance of oyster licenses through the end of the 2009-2010 oyster season. Furthermore, if such action is taken by the executive director, a report shall be presented to the commission at the following meeting, at which time the commission may take such action as deemed necessary.”
The plan will limit the number of commercial oyster licenses available for sale in each of the four major categories — resident dredging, resident tonging, out-of-state dredging and out-of-state tonging. The license sales limits established, based on past license sales by category, had not been met as of Sept. 24.
Oyster harvesters that have not already done so are encouraged to purchase a current license to ensure their continued ability to participate in this year’s oyster season.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point