Naval facility officially in operation
GULFPORT — Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) will be the keynote speaker today at 2 p.m. for the official grand opening of the Naval Construction Battalion Center Fitness Center. Also in attendance will be: Congressman Gene Taylor (D-Miss.); Myrtis Franke, Gulfport Office of Cochran; John Kelly, Office of Mayor George Schloegel; and, Mayor Billie Skellie, Mayor of Long Beach as well as several military officials.
This grand opening marks an end to one of the numerous construction packages included in the $320-million Katrina Recapilization Plan. There are a couple of facilities on the Seabee Base that have yet to be completed as part of the plan.
Prior to the Fitness Center grand opening, Wicker and Taylor will join base officials in cutting ribbons on the Base Fire Station and the Naval Construction Training Commands Basic Enlisted Quarters signifying their official opening.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- Soybean yield more than doubles in less than a decade
- Two Delta groups getting economic development funding
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015