Northern Gulf Institute to receive federal money
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 28,2009
HANCOCK COUNTY — Two federal grants worth more than $8.5 million have been awarded to expand the scope of the Northern Gulf Institute (NGI), a research collaborative led by Mississippi State University (MSU).
U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) announced that a $4.49-million grant has been issued to the Mississippi State University Research and Technology Corp. to help construct a NGI facility at the Stennis Space Center. Awarded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the building will facilitate greater collaboration between NGI and NOAA on oceanographic and atmospheric research.
Another NOAA grant totaling more than $4 million was also awarded to manage the NGI and conduct research at MSU and its partner universities-the University of Southern Mississippi, Louisiana State University, Florida State University and the Dauphin Island Sea Laboratory in Alabama.
NGI research, in part, looks at improving hurricane and river forecasts, mapping offshore fisheries habitat, understanding ecosystems, and increasing educational opportunities at all levels.
As a NOAA Cooperative Institute, NGI may use its new facility at the Stennis Space Center to expand its collaborations with such organizations as the National Data Buoy Center, National Marine Fisheries Service and National Weather Service.
In addition to the NGI grants, NOAA also approved a $3-million grant to MSU to continue its development of the Mississippi Digital Earth Model, a geographic information system to be comprised of seven base data layers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip