Senate passes cyber security measure
by Wally Northway
Published: October 2,2009
The Senate has passed a resolution co-sponsored by Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) to increase awareness among individuals, businesses and government entities of the steps that should be taken to protect themselves from a growing international and domestic threat to digital systems and data.
The Senate approved the National Cyber Security Awareness Month Resolution (S.Res.285) by unanimous consent. The measure sets Oct. 2009 aside to highlight the need for greater cyber security awareness in all segments of American society.
“I hope Mississippians will take the month of October to learn more about cyber security in order to ensure that the Internet remains a positive tool in our homes, schools and workplaces,” Cochran said.
The Mississippi Department of Information Technology Services (MS-ISAC) is a member of the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center that also sponsors the cyber security month. The MS-ISAC is a collaborative state and local government-focused cyber security organization aimed at enhancing cyber threat prevention and protection.
Cochran, the ranking Republican on the Senate Appropriations Committee, noted that Mississippi State University (MSU) and the University of Southern Mississippi (USM) have been recognized for its cyber security programs, including MSU’s Center for Computer Security and Research and the Critical Infrastructure Protection Center and USM’s Homeland Open Security Technology (HOST) program.
In addition, the U.S. Air Force in July announced its decision to locate its new Undergraduate Cyberspace Training unit at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi. This training is expected to start up in 2010.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide