Mitchell named MacArthur Fellow
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 5,2009
Jerry Mitchell, investigative reporter at The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, was named one of two dozen new MacArthur Fellows, a list that includes artists, writers and scientists the foundation believes show the ability to use their gifts to improve the world. For 20 years, Mitchell has investigated the civil-rights era, relentlessly pursuing leads and uncovering previously unknown information that helped result in the reopening of cases and the prosecution, arrests and convictions of several people responsible for 1960s-era civil-rights deaths.
Over the years, Mitchell has been a recipient of several national honors recognizing his body of work, including the George Polk Award for Justice Reporting, the Sidney Hillman Award, the Heywood Broun Award, the John Chancellor Award for Excellence in Journalism, a career-recognition award from the Investigative Reporters and Editors organization. He also was named a Pulitzer finalist in the Beat Reporting category and received national honors from the Anti-Defamation League at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC.
In 2001, Mitchell was chosen as one of Gannett’s top 10 journalists to receive an Outstanding Achievement Award of Excellence in recognition of outstanding news performance. Two years earlier, Mitchell was awarded Gannett’s William Ringle Outstanding Achievement Career Award, which recognizes those who have contributed for years to the success of Gannett newspapers and the journalism profession, and who clearly have made a positive contribution for readers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager