Trucking company wins environmental award
JACKSON — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and its SmartWay Transport Partnership has recognized U.S. Xpress Enterprises Inc., which owns 90 percent of Total Transportation of Mississippi, with a SmartWay Environmental Excellence Award.
The award recognized the leadership displayed by U.S. Xpress in conserving energy, lowering greenhouse gas emissions and reducing the company’s overall carbon footprint through a variety of progressive approaches.
U.S. Xpress went through a detailed application process to be considered for the award. Officials from the EPA evaluated the application, which included the company’s strategies and results from implementing improved aerodynamics on its tractors and trailers, the use of wide-based tires, continued growth in its intermodal program, the use of on-board heaters and an engine idle reduction program.
The SmartWay Transport Partnership includes more than 2,100 carriers, customers and organizations related to the trucking industry. Of that total membership, only 37 companies and organizations received SmartWay Environmental Excellence Awards this year.
“I commend U.S. Xpress for its leadership in promoting sustainable transportation practices through the SmartWay Transport Partnership,” said Margo T. Oge, director of the Office of Transportation and Air Quality at the EPA. “These actions demonstrate a commitment to a cleaner environment and more secure energy supply.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast