Hold on to your wallet
by For the MBJ
Published: October 12,2009
For thousands of Mississippians and millions across the country, healthcare is about to get more expensive. The Senate Finance Committee, chaired by Max Baucus, D-Montana, has authored a bill, that will pay for healthcare reform by taxing current benefits used by millions to offset the cost of their health care. This bill is not only outrageous, but in principal, it penalizes those that do the right thing. They work hard to make sure their families have health insurance and they save and budget for their out-of-pocket expenses. This bill calls for a cap of $2500 on Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). Over 35 million responsible Americans use FSAs to ensure that their health care needs are met.
Flexible Spending Accounts, under a Cafeteria Plan, allow employees to set aside tax-free dollars for their family’s out-of-pocket medical expenses. With higher deductibles, co-pays and other expenses, such as dental and vision care, many Mississippians count on the savings generated by FSAs to budget and pay for these expenses. People with chronic diseases and on-going health problems especially, rely heavily on these accounts. If eliminated or capped as outlined in this bill, millions will be unable to afford their families healthcare needs. It is very apparent by this bill that the intent of Sen. Baucus, and those in control, is not to reduce the cost of our healthcare, but instead to slowly move to a government controlled system, whereby, taking personal responsibility, is a thing of the past.
Jim Miller – CFCI, Vice President
Southern Administrators and Benefit Consultants Inc.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy