Strahan gives largest-ever gift to DSU
CLEVELAND — Chair and professor emeritus of mathematics at Delta State University (DSU) Dr. Rose Strahan has made the largest planned gift of any employee of the university. Strahan’s gift covers the annual premium of a $750,000 life insurance policy.
Alumni Foundation executive director Keith Fulcher, said, “Her gift to the math department will one day result in approximately $30,000 in annual scholarship money. A significant increase over the $5,000 they have available this year.”
The Rose Strahan Endowed Scholarship for Mathematics was established by the Delta State University Mathematics Department faculty as a surprise for Strahan, who retired in June.
“It is important for me to help students. I had to pay my own way and I hope my gift will enable students who are struggling to complete their college degree. A college degree changed my life,” Strahan stated.
Strahan served as chair of the Mathematics Department from 1978 to 2009. She graduated from Calhoun City High School, where she was a member of the basketball team. She finished Hinds Junior College in Raymond and transferred to Mississippi College where she completed her degree in mathematics in 1963.
Strahan taught mathematics at Gulfport High School and Murrah High School in Jackson before completing her master’s degree from the University of Mississippi and her doctorate from the University of Florida in 1980.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager