Strahan gives largest-ever gift to DSU
CLEVELAND — Chair and professor emeritus of mathematics at Delta State University (DSU) Dr. Rose Strahan has made the largest planned gift of any employee of the university. Strahan’s gift covers the annual premium of a $750,000 life insurance policy.
Alumni Foundation executive director Keith Fulcher, said, “Her gift to the math department will one day result in approximately $30,000 in annual scholarship money. A significant increase over the $5,000 they have available this year.”
The Rose Strahan Endowed Scholarship for Mathematics was established by the Delta State University Mathematics Department faculty as a surprise for Strahan, who retired in June.
“It is important for me to help students. I had to pay my own way and I hope my gift will enable students who are struggling to complete their college degree. A college degree changed my life,” Strahan stated.
Strahan served as chair of the Mathematics Department from 1978 to 2009. She graduated from Calhoun City High School, where she was a member of the basketball team. She finished Hinds Junior College in Raymond and transferred to Mississippi College where she completed her degree in mathematics in 1963.
Strahan taught mathematics at Gulfport High School and Murrah High School in Jackson before completing her master’s degree from the University of Mississippi and her doctorate from the University of Florida in 1980.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force