Villanueva wins HENAAC Award
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 12,2009
Evelyn Villanueva, a research geologist in Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (GSL) at the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) in Vicksburg, was named among the USACE winners of the HENAAC award. HENAAC, established in 1989, strives to identify, honor and document the contributions of outstanding Hispanic Americans in the fields of science, engineering, technology and math.
Villanueva works in the Engineering Geology and Geophysics Branch of the Geosciences and Structures Division. She has a bachelor’s in geology from the University of Puerto Rico in Mayaguez and a master’s in geosciences from Mississippi State University.
Currently, Villanueva is the principal investigator of the Breaching Mechanics for Embankment Dams under the Dam Risk Focus Area, conducting research in overtopping models of earthen structures to determine their suitability for USACE application, and is also the principal investigator of the Gravel Study of the Lower Mississippi River. She has been instrumental in the organization and execution of ERDC’s recruiting partnership with UPRM.
Villanueva is married to Dr. Guillermo Riveros, who works in ERDC’s Information Technology Laboratory, and has two children, Stephanie and Michael.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy