Villanueva wins HENAAC Award
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 12,2009
Evelyn Villanueva, a research geologist in Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (GSL) at the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) in Vicksburg, was named among the USACE winners of the HENAAC award. HENAAC, established in 1989, strives to identify, honor and document the contributions of outstanding Hispanic Americans in the fields of science, engineering, technology and math.
Villanueva works in the Engineering Geology and Geophysics Branch of the Geosciences and Structures Division. She has a bachelor’s in geology from the University of Puerto Rico in Mayaguez and a master’s in geosciences from Mississippi State University.
Currently, Villanueva is the principal investigator of the Breaching Mechanics for Embankment Dams under the Dam Risk Focus Area, conducting research in overtopping models of earthen structures to determine their suitability for USACE application, and is also the principal investigator of the Gravel Study of the Lower Mississippi River. She has been instrumental in the organization and execution of ERDC’s recruiting partnership with UPRM.
Villanueva is married to Dr. Guillermo Riveros, who works in ERDC’s Information Technology Laboratory, and has two children, Stephanie and Michael.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center