Road projects receive stimulus funds
Published: October 15,2009
NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI — Funding provided through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) has paved the way for numerous overlay projects in Northeast Mississippi.
According to Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) officials, ARRA funding provided for overlay work on 10 sections of state-maintained roadways, and allowed officials in District One to move forward projects that were planned for coming years. District One includes Winston, Choctaw, Webster, Chickasaw, Pontotoc, Union, Tippah, Alcorn, Tishomingo, Prentiss, Lee, Itawamba, Monroe, Clay, Oktibbeha and Lowndes counties.
Overlays were applied to the following roadways thanks to ARRA funding:
• U.S. 45 ALT from West Point to north of State Route 25 in Clay and Monroe counties; from Artesia to the Clay County line in Lowndes County; and, between SR 8 and the northern-most Monroe/Chickasaw County line in Chickasaw and Monroe counties
• U.S. 82 from a point near Military Road to the Alabama state line in Lowndes County; and, SR 15 from the north connection of the SR 15 Bypass to the Pontotoc County line in Chickasaw County
• U.S. 72 from the Tippah County line to Corinth in Alcorn County
• SR 365 from the Prentiss County line to U.S. 72 in Tishomingo County
• U.S. 45 from Dryden Road to the Lee County line in Monroe County
• U.S. 78 from Belden to Tupelo in Lee County
• U.S. 78 from Fulton to the Alabama State Line in Itawamba County.
The projects on U.S. 78 provided the necessary improvements for U.S. 78 to become the future I-22, said District One engineer Bill Jamieson.
“The other eight projects allowed the District to contract much-needed overlays to help provide the motoring public the type roadways that they expect,” Jamieson said. “This additional funding allowed the District to put under contract this year projects that were planned for the next three years.”
MDOT received a total of $354,564,343 in ARRA funding. To date, $300,212,956 has been obligated.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Road projects receive stimulus funds”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi