Keeping Our Eye On: Pamela Weaver
by Stephen McDill
Published: October 19,2009
Hometown: Ocean Springs
Education: University of Southern Mississippi, BA in radio, television, and film, BS in political science
Current Position: Communications director, Office of the Mississippi Secretary of State
“I’ve had the unique opportunity to travel around the world,” Weaver says. “My family finally settled on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and I consider myself a converted Southerner.”
After college, Weaver began working at WDAM News 7 during her senior year starting out as an associate producer and within three years had been promoted to anchor of the 6 and 10 pm newscasts, also winning two Associated Press awards.
“One of the best days of my career is when I got the great opportunity to work for the Secretary of State,” Weaver says. “Always knowing that I wanted to work in public relations, I never imagined I would get the opportunity to work for a state agency that is headed by someone who is so driven to make a difference in Mississippi.”
“Because Secretary Hosemann’s responsibilities run the gamut, I can never tell what my day is going to be like,” Weaver says. “From elections to metal theft, to pre-need funeral homes to Stanford Financial, we work tirelessly to inform the public of issues at our office. Because Secretary Hosemann is committed to full and open transparency, I spend a great deal of my time informing the public about issues that could impact our State in the most efficient manner possible.”
Weaver attends St. Richards Catholic Church and is actively involved in the Make-A-Wish golf tournament and the March of Dimes.
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Horn Island – it’s one of my most favorite places to visit.
Must-have Mississippi food: Anything from Crescent City Grill in Hattiesburg.
Favorite hangout: At home with my husband William and son W. Payne Weaver III
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Hood joins other AGs in efforts to curb copper theft
- Entergy gives $500K grant to The Nature Conservancy
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain