Stonnington earns re-certification
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 19,2009
Dr. Michael Stonnington of Southern Bone and Joint Specialists, P.A., was recently recertified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Stonnington, an orthopaedic surgeon with special interests in traumatology, total joint replacement and sports medicine, focuses on the treatment of acute fractures, post-traumatic deformities and non-unions including injuries to the pelvis and acetabulum at the Orthopaedic Trauma Services at Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg. He is co-chairman of FGH department of surgery.
Stonnington received his undergraduate degree with distinction from the University of Virginia. He then received his medical degree from Duke University and his orthopaedic surgery training at the University of Florida. He is the founding co-director of Orthopaedic Trauma Services at FGH. Stonnington recently authored two chapters in a major musculoskeletal textbook. He is the U.S. Orthopaedic Consultant for Futuro Braces, a leading national and international soft goods and brace company.
Stonnington received his Air Force Reserve Commission in 1988 and was active duty at Keesler Air Force Base for three years as a staff orthopaedic surgeon. Stonnington is a lieutenant colonel, and during his Air Force career served on a forward surgical team. One of his last responsibilities in the military involved teaching battlefield surgery. Such endeavors included travel to war-torn Nepal where he taught battlefield surgery to the Royal Nepalese Army.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015