Stonnington earns re-certification
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 19,2009
Dr. Michael Stonnington of Southern Bone and Joint Specialists, P.A., was recently recertified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Stonnington, an orthopaedic surgeon with special interests in traumatology, total joint replacement and sports medicine, focuses on the treatment of acute fractures, post-traumatic deformities and non-unions including injuries to the pelvis and acetabulum at the Orthopaedic Trauma Services at Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg. He is co-chairman of FGH department of surgery.
Stonnington received his undergraduate degree with distinction from the University of Virginia. He then received his medical degree from Duke University and his orthopaedic surgery training at the University of Florida. He is the founding co-director of Orthopaedic Trauma Services at FGH. Stonnington recently authored two chapters in a major musculoskeletal textbook. He is the U.S. Orthopaedic Consultant for Futuro Braces, a leading national and international soft goods and brace company.
Stonnington received his Air Force Reserve Commission in 1988 and was active duty at Keesler Air Force Base for three years as a staff orthopaedic surgeon. Stonnington is a lieutenant colonel, and during his Air Force career served on a forward surgical team. One of his last responsibilities in the military involved teaching battlefield surgery. Such endeavors included travel to war-torn Nepal where he taught battlefield surgery to the Royal Nepalese Army.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey