Trucking company wins environmental award
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 19,2009
JACKSON — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and its SmartWay Transport Partnership has recognized U.S. Xpress Enterprises Inc., which owns 90 percent of Total Transportation of Mississippi, with a SmartWay Environmental Excellence Award.
The award recognized the leadership displayed by U.S. Xpress in conserving energy, lowering greenhouse gas emissions and reducing the company’s overall carbon footprint through a variety of progressive approaches.
U.S. Xpress went through a detailed application process to be considered for the award. Officials from the EPA evaluated the application, which included the company’s strategies and results from implementing improved aerodynamics on its tractors and trailers, the use of wide-based tires, continued growth in its intermodal program, the use of on-board heaters and an engine idle reduction program.
The SmartWay Transport Partnership includes more than 2,100 carriers, customers and organizations related to the trucking industry. Of that total membership, only 37 companies and organizations received SmartWay Environmental Excellence Awards this year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- MSU receives funding for two proposals aimed at boosting NASA missions