Road projects get stimulus money
Published: October 20,2009
WEST MISSISSIPPI — Motorists in West Mississippi are benefiting in multiple ways thanks to funding provided to the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) through the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
In MDOT’s District Three, which includes Bolivar, Sunflower, Washington, Humphreys, Holmes, Yazoo, Sharkey, Issaquena, Warren, Claiborne, Jefferson and Copiah counties, a variety of projects have been funded by the ARRA. To date, seven ARRA-funded projects totaling $23,226,945 have been let in District Three. They include:
• Grade, drain, and bridge work on SR 8 from Cleveland to Ruleville in Sunflower and Bolivar counties
• Widening and overlay work on SR 1 from Rosedale to Bunge Cutoff Road in Bolivar County
• Widening and overlay work on SR 8 from Cleveland to Ruleville
• Widening and overlay work on SR 27 from Georgetown to Crystal Springs in Copiah County
• Improvements to the I-55 Rest Area at the town of West in Holmes County
• Overlay work on SR 438 from U.S. 1 to U.S. 61 in Washington County
• Widening and overlay work on U.S. 49 from the Madison County line to Bentonia in Yazoo County
The SR 8 work marks the beginning of a project designed to create a four-lane system that will connect U.S. 49 from Ruleville to U.S. 61 in Cleveland. The ARRA funding has allowed district officials to upgrade many sections of pavement that were beginning to show signs of duress. That work will create smoother and safer roadways for motorists throughout the district.
MDOT has received a total of $354,564,343 in ARRA funding. To date, $300,212,956 has been obligated.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Meadville mayor seeks Sojourner's Senate seat
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Record soybean yield is valued at $1.17 billion
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today