Road projects get stimulus money
Published: October 20,2009
WEST MISSISSIPPI — Motorists in West Mississippi are benefiting in multiple ways thanks to funding provided to the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) through the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
In MDOT’s District Three, which includes Bolivar, Sunflower, Washington, Humphreys, Holmes, Yazoo, Sharkey, Issaquena, Warren, Claiborne, Jefferson and Copiah counties, a variety of projects have been funded by the ARRA. To date, seven ARRA-funded projects totaling $23,226,945 have been let in District Three. They include:
• Grade, drain, and bridge work on SR 8 from Cleveland to Ruleville in Sunflower and Bolivar counties
• Widening and overlay work on SR 1 from Rosedale to Bunge Cutoff Road in Bolivar County
• Widening and overlay work on SR 8 from Cleveland to Ruleville
• Widening and overlay work on SR 27 from Georgetown to Crystal Springs in Copiah County
• Improvements to the I-55 Rest Area at the town of West in Holmes County
• Overlay work on SR 438 from U.S. 1 to U.S. 61 in Washington County
• Widening and overlay work on U.S. 49 from the Madison County line to Bentonia in Yazoo County
The SR 8 work marks the beginning of a project designed to create a four-lane system that will connect U.S. 49 from Ruleville to U.S. 61 in Cleveland. The ARRA funding has allowed district officials to upgrade many sections of pavement that were beginning to show signs of duress. That work will create smoother and safer roadways for motorists throughout the district.
MDOT has received a total of $354,564,343 in ARRA funding. To date, $300,212,956 has been obligated.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren