JSU engineering program gets major gift
JACKSON — Entergy and the Entergy Charitable Foundation has made a $400,000 gift that will establish the Entergy Power Systems Laboratory in the School of Engineering, College of Science, Engineering and Technology at Jackson State University (JSU). It will allow JSU to offer a power systems track in the engineering program.
Entergy also made a surprise, additional $100,000 award that will provide scholarships to JSU engineering students.
“This is a strategic investment in the future workforce of Mississippi to make our state more attractive for energy research, development and manufacturing,” said Haley Fisackerly, president and CEO of Entergy Mississippi Inc. “The students who graduate from this program will be an incredible resource not only for Entergy, but for businesses and industry throughout Mississippi.”
The Power Systems Laboratory will let students conduct experiments in power simulation, power electronics, electrical machines and other subjects related to managing and modernizing the nation’s energy transmission systems. Students will also learn about electric grid infrastructure, energy conservation, renewable energy and large-scale smart grids.
Sponsorship of the JSU Power Systems Laboratory and funding of the scholarships is part of Entergy’s Destination Education initiative, which seeks innovative projects that develop critical thinking skills and enhance academic preparedness in math, science and technical fields.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “JSU engineering program gets major gift”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics