The First’s earnings rise
Published: October 21,2009
HATTIESBURG — The First Bancshares Inc., holding company for The First, A National Banking Association, reports net income available to common shareholders for the three months ended Sept. 30, 2009 amounted to $693,000 or $0.23 per diluted share, compared to $335,000 or $0.11 per diluted share for the same quarter in 2008.
Hoppy Cole, CEO of The First, said, “We are pleased to report an improvement in our third quarter earnings. Positive loan growth, improvement in our net interest margin, and a reduction in our operating expenses are the result of focused efforts by our employees to improve the bank’s performance in a challenging economic environment.”
Other quarterly highlights include:
• total assets increased to $485.889 million
• total loans increased to $321.402 million
• net interest margin increased to 3.59 percent from 3.54 percent at June 30, 2009
• total borrowed funds decreased 9.6% to $32.063 million
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force