Jobless rate falls in all counties
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for Sept. 2009 was 9.2 percent. That represents an over-the-month decrease of five-tenths of a percentage point from 9.7 in August, but up significantly over the 7.4 percent reported for Sept. 2008.
The nation’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate increased one-tenth of a percentage point over the month from 9.7 to 9.8 percent and was 3.6 percentage points higher than the year ago rate of 6.2 percent.
Mississippi’s not seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 8.8 percent, decreasing from the previous month’s rate of 9.7 percent. When compared to the Sept. 2008 rate of 7.1 percent, the rate increased nearly two percentage points. The number of unemployed decreased 11,200 over the month while the employed total increased 2,100 from the prior month.
The nation’s not seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was down slightly over the month at 9.5 percent but was 3.5 percentage points higher than the year ago rate of 6 percent.
Results from Mississippi’s nonfarm employment survey, which is counted by the location of establishments, reported a not seasonally adjusted decrease of 1,600 in employment over the month and a decrease of 40,000 from one year ago. Industry sectors registering the largest monthly employment losses were trade, transportation and utilities and leisure and hospitality.
For the month, only 27 counties in Mississippi posted unemployment rates less than or equal to the state’s rate of 8.8 percent. Unemployment rates decreased over the month in all 82 counties. Rankin County posted the lowest unemployment rate for the month at 5.6 percent followed by Scott County at 5.9 percent.
Forty-one counties reported double-digit rates for the month with six counties reporting rates greater than or equal to 15 percent. The highest jobless rates were in Clay County (17.8 percent) and Noxubee County (17.6 percent.)
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'