Keeping Our Eye On: Fei Xue
by Don Smith
Published: October 26,2009
Hometown: Zhumadian, China
Education: Ph.D, University of Alabama; MA, BA, Huazhong University of Science & Technology
Current Position: Assistant professor and graduate coordinator, School of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Southern Mississippi
Fei Xue, or “Dr.X” to his students, was born in China and moved to the United States in 2000 to pursue a doctoral degree in mass communication at the University of Alabama. After completing his degree, Fei decided to remain in the southeast United States.
“I fell in love with the southern hospitality and the SEC football, so I stayed,” says Fei. “I have learned to love sweet tea, catfish, and being called ‘sweetie’ at every store. Unfortunately, I was never able to learn how to say ‘y’all’ correctly.”
In 2004, Fei became an assistant professor at the School of Mass Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern Mississippi and became graduate coordinator in 2008.
“I enjoy my job,” says Fei, “There are so many talented kids here in Mississippi.”
In addition to his work with students, Fei is also an published writer and researcher whose work can be found in such periodicals as the Journal of Consumer Marketing and the International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising.
“I am probably one of the few people in America who actually enjoy statistical analysis,” says Fei.
Even with all of his responsibilities, Fei still makes time to relax and unwind.
“When I need a break from work, I put on my running shoes, call a few friends and get out there running. That’s the best way to get a good night’s sleep!”
Mississippi’s best kept secret: The Longleaf Trace in Hattiesburg, a great place for running or biking.
Must-have Mississippi food: Leatha’s BBQ. Hands down my favorite BBQ place.
Favorite hangout: Any place with Southern Miss fans – and the beach!
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Keeping Our Eye On: Fei Xue”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money