Merrill donates to alma mater
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 26,2009
Dr. John C. Merrill, a noted journalism educator and author, will pay tribute to his hometown of Cleveland and his alma mater Delta State University with the presentation of his many awards and 33 published volumes to the University Archives and Museum Oct. 21, at 2:30 p.m. inside the Capps Building. Merrill, a professor emeritus at the University of Missouri Journalism School, earned his undergraduate degree in English at Delta State, followed by master’s degrees in journalism from Louisiana State University and philosophy from the University of Missouri, and a Ph.D. in mass communication from the University of Iowa. He has taught and lectured in some 70 countries.
Each year, outstanding journalists lecture at Delta State though the John Merrill Lecture Series, which was established in 2006 when Merrill gave a substantial personal donation to the fledgling Delta State University journalism program.
The John Merrill award, which is the top journalism award at Delta State, is presented annually through a gift from an anonymous donor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November