Merrill donates to alma mater
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 26,2009
Dr. John C. Merrill, a noted journalism educator and author, will pay tribute to his hometown of Cleveland and his alma mater Delta State University with the presentation of his many awards and 33 published volumes to the University Archives and Museum Oct. 21, at 2:30 p.m. inside the Capps Building. Merrill, a professor emeritus at the University of Missouri Journalism School, earned his undergraduate degree in English at Delta State, followed by master’s degrees in journalism from Louisiana State University and philosophy from the University of Missouri, and a Ph.D. in mass communication from the University of Iowa. He has taught and lectured in some 70 countries.
Each year, outstanding journalists lecture at Delta State though the John Merrill Lecture Series, which was established in 2006 when Merrill gave a substantial personal donation to the fledgling Delta State University journalism program.
The John Merrill award, which is the top journalism award at Delta State, is presented annually through a gift from an anonymous donor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Nullification and interposition
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge