Program pushes downtown walking
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — From the hills of Northeast Mississippi to the sugar-white beaches of the Gulf Coast, residents from across the state are invited to bring their most comfortable shoes and go walking.
Sponsored by the Main Street Mississippi Association (MSMA), the second annual "Let’s Go Walkin’ Down Main Street Mississippi" will be celebrated in 27 Magnolia State communities Oct. 31 in an effort to support healthier lives, as well as promote the economy in local downtown areas.
"The Mississippi Main Street Association is proud to partner with Let’s Go Walkin’ Mississippi for the second year as we work toward to goal of healthier communities," said Bob Wilson, executive director for MMSA. "Our downtown areas are essential for the overall wellness of our state’s towns and cities. We want to promote our local businesses and healthy lifestyles by walking."
Participating communities include Baldwyn, Batesville, Belhaven, Booneville, Carthage, Columbia, Columbus, Ecru, Greenwood, Hancock County, Hattiesburg, Holly Springs, Houston, Kosciusko, Laurel, Lexington, Magee, New Albany, Noxapater, Okalona, Philadelphia, Pontotoc, Port Gibson, Sherman, Tunica, Tupelo, Vicksburg, West Point, Woodland and Newton.
"These communities are taking steps to promote healthy lifestyles by hosting this event in their hometown," said John Sewell, director of corporate communications with Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi. "Walking is an excellent form of exercise, which promotes a healthy body and healthy mind in as little as 30 minutes a day."
According to MSMA officials, each community has organized its own event. A limited number of t-shirts bearing the event’s logo will be available to participants on a first come, first served basis.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Program pushes downtown walking”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren