Rain washes out play at Viking Classic
Rain during the night Wednesday and into the early morning hours of Thursday has rendered the course unplayable.
“With all the rain we’ve had lately, the water just isn’t flowing into the ground; it’s accumulating on the surface,” said Lake Caroline director of golf Kyle Sisk, who is helping at the Viking.
Sisk said the first round could begin around 7:20 Friday morning “if we don’t get anymore rain today.”
That’s a big “if.”
The forecast calls for a 10 percent chance of rain this afternoon. The chance for rain and thunderstorms increases this evening and lasts into the early morning hours of Friday. The full-day forecast for Friday calls for an 80 percent chance of thunderstorms. Saturday’s forecast is identical to Friday’s. The first day with no chance of rain is Sunday.
“The Tour officials will have to re-evaluate the course tomorrow,” Sisk said.
Viking media relations manager Cary New said in a press release that all non-golf-related activities will go on as scheduled. Today is Ladies Day, presented by the Ridgeland Tourism Commission, at the Viking. At 3 p.m., there is a ladies-only wine and cheese tasting under the Viking Hospitality Tent. Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse and Colony Wine Market of Ridgeland are sponsoring the event.
Other events through the weekend include Military Day on Friday and Family Day on Saturday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- College Board gives Keenum contract extension, raise
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M for using SkyTel technology
- Humana and Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation partnering
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Six out of eight universities could have higher tuitions in 2015
- Rep. Howell decides not to seek re-election to House
- LTE: With tax cuts, Gov. Bryant dismissive of least of us