Rain washes out play at Viking Classic
Rain during the night Wednesday and into the early morning hours of Thursday has rendered the course unplayable.
“With all the rain we’ve had lately, the water just isn’t flowing into the ground; it’s accumulating on the surface,” said Lake Caroline director of golf Kyle Sisk, who is helping at the Viking.
Sisk said the first round could begin around 7:20 Friday morning “if we don’t get anymore rain today.”
That’s a big “if.”
The forecast calls for a 10 percent chance of rain this afternoon. The chance for rain and thunderstorms increases this evening and lasts into the early morning hours of Friday. The full-day forecast for Friday calls for an 80 percent chance of thunderstorms. Saturday’s forecast is identical to Friday’s. The first day with no chance of rain is Sunday.
“The Tour officials will have to re-evaluate the course tomorrow,” Sisk said.
Viking media relations manager Cary New said in a press release that all non-golf-related activities will go on as scheduled. Today is Ladies Day, presented by the Ridgeland Tourism Commission, at the Viking. At 3 p.m., there is a ladies-only wine and cheese tasting under the Viking Hospitality Tent. Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse and Colony Wine Market of Ridgeland are sponsoring the event.
Other events through the weekend include Military Day on Friday and Family Day on Saturday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Hood clarifies opinion on open-carry gun law
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015