Statewide arts conference slated
JACKSON — The Mississippi Arts Commission (MAC), in partnership with The Wallace Foundation, will present a statewide conference on the arts Nov. 11-13 in Jackson. The conference, themed "The Creativity Key…Unlock the Possibilities," will be held at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Jackson and will offer attendees networking opportunities as well as breakout sessions, peer group meetings and keynote speakers.
Breakout sessions will include information covering fundraising, community development, arts advocacy, marketing, grant writing, technology and grant opportunities. Sessions will be a mixture of presentations, panels and workshops.
The keynote speakers for Thursday’s luncheon are Dana Gioia, former chair for the National Endowment for the Arts and his brother, author Ted Gioia. Bill Strickland, president and CEO of Manchester Bidwell Corporation, will be deliver the keynote address during Friday’s luncheon.
The Mississippi Arts Commission’s Whole Schools Initiative will be holding its fall retreat in conjunction with the conference.
The conference is targeted toward: arts administrators; board members; professional artists; college and graduate students planning a career in the arts; community arts teachers; leaders in education at all levels; policy makers; and, anyone committed to building a stronger Mississippi through the arts.
Other conference activities include three arts experiences, including a trolley tour of downtown Jackson, instruction in ballroom dance and a visual arts experience entitled "The Wonder-filled World of Walter Anderson." After a special dinner at the Mississippi Museum of Art, sponsored by the museum and MAC, conference attendees will have an inside look at a rehearsal of the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra’s Chamber I: Pachelbel in Venice performance.
Advance registration costs for the conference are $50 per person, with a deadline of Oct. 30. Onsite registration costs will be $75 per person. The fees include all scheduled meal functions and materials throughout the event. Attendees are responsible for arranging and paying for their own accommodations and travel expenses.
For more information about the conference, contact the MAC at (601) 359-6030 or visit www.arts.state.ms.us.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Statewide arts conference slated”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form