Wicker named to subcommittee
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 2,2009
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) has been named the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee’s Seapower Subcommittee. Wicker said the leadership role would put him in a strong position to influence matters relating to the Navy and Marine Corps, including their shipbuilding needs and priorities.
Wicker noted that this is an especially important assignment considering the Navy’s increased responsibilities with regard to sea-based missile defense and the Marine Corps’ increased participation in the war in Afghanistan. These relatively new responsibilities are in addition to the Navy’s traditional mission of sea control and shipping-channel protection, which ensures the safety of the nation’s shipping industry.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years