Wicker named to subcommittee
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 2,2009
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) has been named the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee’s Seapower Subcommittee. Wicker said the leadership role would put him in a strong position to influence matters relating to the Navy and Marine Corps, including their shipbuilding needs and priorities.
Wicker noted that this is an especially important assignment considering the Navy’s increased responsibilities with regard to sea-based missile defense and the Marine Corps’ increased participation in the war in Afghanistan. These relatively new responsibilities are in addition to the Navy’s traditional mission of sea control and shipping-channel protection, which ensures the safety of the nation’s shipping industry.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal