Wicker named to subcommittee
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 2,2009
U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) has been named the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee’s Seapower Subcommittee. Wicker said the leadership role would put him in a strong position to influence matters relating to the Navy and Marine Corps, including their shipbuilding needs and priorities.
Wicker noted that this is an especially important assignment considering the Navy’s increased responsibilities with regard to sea-based missile defense and the Marine Corps’ increased participation in the war in Afghanistan. These relatively new responsibilities are in addition to the Navy’s traditional mission of sea control and shipping-channel protection, which ensures the safety of the nation’s shipping industry.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma