Champions Tour stopping on Coast
Published: November 5,2009
BILOXI — The PGA TOUR’s Champions Tour, in conjunction with the Gulf Coast Business Council, announced the addition of a new tournament to the Champions TOUR schedule for 2010 – the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, to be held April 26-May 2.
The tournament will feature three days of competitive play, a Pro-Am as well as numerous special events including a Junior Pro-Am and Junior Clinic. Champions Tour favorites Hal Sutton, Loren Roberts, Fred Funk, Jay Haas, Bernard Langer, Tom Watson, Hale Irwin, Fuzzy Zoeller and more are expected to compete.
“The Gulf Coast Business Council has a vision of seeing the Mississippi Gulf Coast become a tier one tourism destination. Achievement of such an ambitious goal requires that we have nationally recognized events and attractions,” said Anthony Topazi, chairman of the Gulf Coast Business Council. “The PGA Champions Tour is a signature event for any region of this country and is a significant step in becoming a tier one destination. This tournament will showcase the Mississippi Gulf Coast’s premier golf, fishing, and resort amenities on a national and world-wide basis.”
The tournament will be played at Fallen Oak, a Tom Fazio design, and will be broadcast on Golf Channel.
The financial foundation of the tournament was established by a consortium of businesses including the
Gulf Coast Business Council, Beau Rivage, IP, Grand Biloxi, Island View, Hard Rock, Habitat for Humanity, Cellular South, the State of Mississippi, Roy Anderson Corp, Yates Construction, Hancock Bank and Southern Company as well as Harrison and Hancock counties’ tourism commissions.
The tournament’s foundation hired Bruno Event Team to manage the event, including the sponsorship sales, marketing, volunteers and operational set-up.
For more information on the tournament, available sponsorship packages, volunteer opportunities and tickets, visit www.mississippigulfresortclassic.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Champions Tour stopping on Coast”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus