FEMA awards funds for saferooms
Published: November 10,2009
GEORGE COUNTY and LAMAR COUNTY — Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) announced approval of more than $4.83 million in federal funding to support the construction of community saferoom facilities in George and Lamar counties in South Mississippi.
The grant funding, provided through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, will support three projects, including east and west safe rooms near Lucedale and another project in Purvis.
For George County, just over $1.2 million has been approved for each of the two proposed saferooms near Lucedale. Each 3,600-square-foot shelter will be designed to accommodate 316 people for up to 36 hours. An eastern Lucedale saferoom will be constructed in the Agricola community, while a western shelter will be built in the Benndale community. Agricola and Benndale are unincorporated communities. Both projects will each cost an estimated $1.60 million to construct.
The Lamar County facility has been approved to receive $2.43 million for a 10,500-square-foot saferoom to be built near the multipurpose community center in Purvis. This facility would be designed to accommodate approximately 1,000 people for up to 36 hours. The total cost of this center is expected to total $3.25 million.
The three saferoom projects will be designed to meet FEMA’s 361 performance standards and will be constructed in two phases (design and construction). The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program is used to aid states and local communities in implementing long-term hazard mitigation projects. The grants represent 75 percent of the estimated cost for constructing each of the community saferooms.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Jackson’s Landmark Center slated for mixed-use conversion
- Ex-circuit clerk Palmertree gets 10 years for embezzlement
- 50 Leading Business Women in Mississippi (digital magazine)