Martin takes over at DREC
Published: November 10,2009
STONEVILLE — Steve Martin has been named head of Mississippi State University’s (MSU’s) Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville.
Martin assumed his duties as head of the regional facility Nov. 1. He was named interim head of the center in July 2008, following the appointment of then DREC head Joe Street as associate director of the MSU Extension Service.
The new center administrator began his MSU career in 1997 as a graduate research assistant in the Department of Agricultural Economics. He earned his doctorate in agricultural economics at MSU and also holds master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business administration and agricultural and extension education, respectively, from MSU.
“Dr. Martin’s almost decade of service as a research scientist in the Delta, plus more than 12 years in agricultural business, give him a unique mix of experiences for this role,” said Greg Bohach, vice president of MSU’s Division of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine. “He has a strong commitment to all aspects of the region’s economic development, as well as dedication to MSU’s role in educational outreach.”
The DREC staff includes more than 30 research scientists and more than 100 support personnel. The facility includes the Thad Cochran National Warmwater Aquaculture Center and the Capps Entrepreneurial Center, as well as facilities for regional and federal agencies. It is also the headquarters of the MSU Extension Service’s northwest region.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Community Bank, Pinnacle Trust ink new agreement