Keeping Our Eye On: Katie Conway
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 16,2009
Hometown: Jackson, MS
Education: Associates Degree in Liberal Arts, Holmes Community College
Current Position: Visitor Information Specialist, Jackson Convention and Visitors Bureau
Katie Conway says that everyone who knows her agrees that she is a people person. “I have been for my whole life, which made going into the hospitality industry an easy choice for me,” she says.
The 2003 Homecoming Queen for University Christian School in Flowood says that one of her favorite jobs is coordinating social media for the JCVB using Facebook, Twitter, and other popular sites.
“The mission of the Jackson Convention & Visitors Bureau is to attract, promote and facilitate tourism to and with Jackson, Mississippi,” Conway says. “Through social media efforts, I deliver the bureau’s message to our constituents, tourism industry leaders and the general public. These messages inform those who live and visit Jackson about the many interesting attractions, fun-filled events, and over 200 fine dining restaurants that exist in the City with Soul.”
One upcoming professional experience that Conway admits she is looking forward to is attending a Destination Management and Marketing Institute (DMMI) conference in Indianapolis, Indiana, in November. “I feel experiences such as this will help me grow professionally and teach me so much about the tourism industry,” she says. “At the DMMI Conference, I will attend sessions on social media, and will be able to use the lessons learned in my position as the visitor information specialist and social media manager.”
Conway believes that Capital City has such a great future, and social media is a very important tool to inform people of new developments, exciting events and everything else that Jackson has to offer. Whether you’re in Jackson on business or pleasure, a good time is guaranteed in the City with Soul!
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Mississippi Blues Trail Markers
Must-have Mississippi food: comeback dressing
Favorite hangout: Underground 119
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Haley Barbour: Kemper plant will rival Grand Gulf’s performance
- Longtime Biloxi mayor Holloway resigns
- MDOT commissioner: National group gets it ‘backwards’ on state’s spending on bridge upkeep
- BEN WILLIAMS AND MOLLY JEFFCOAT: Title certificates, reports, commitments & policies: The difference may be your job!
- JOSH MABUS: Make it in Mississippi
- With S&P suit settled, Mississippi set to take on Moody’s over flawed investment ratings
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- LOUANN LOFTON: A book of maps for lovers of New Orleans
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves