Party affiliation means something
I guess I miss your point (regarding Ross Reily’s blog last week on Simpson County officials changing party affiliation). Do you believe that every Republican or Democrat in the state who is a county official should run as an independent? You don’t think local officials differ on issues of taxes, voter ID, the role and size of government, the environment, regulation, how schools operate, law enforcement budgets, etc?
You say, “All local candidates are for education. They are for police and fire protection and good roads.” What is the difference in them and statewide candidates? I don’t know anyone who runs for office who is against education, against the police, against fire protection and against good roads. By your measurement, everyone should be an independent.
I know some folks in Simpson County and they care a great deal about the political affiliation of the local coroner. The local Democrats were howling when a Republican got the job. Maybe you don’t care that most elected officials in Jackson are Democrats, but that doesn’t mean rural voters don’t care about our own politics. We take this seriously. We take what our elected officials stand for seriously. Some of us like Democrats; some of us like Republicans. And it might not be important to you, but it is to us.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public