County designated StormReady
Published: November 18,2009
ADAMS COUNTY — Adams County is the latest community to receive the StormReady designation from the National Weather Service. Mississippi now has 28 StormReady designations including 14 communities, 11 counties and the University of Southern Mississippi and University of Mississippi.
StormReady is a nationwide program of the weather service that helps communities protect their citizens during severe weather and encourages communities to take a proactive approach to improving local hazardous weather operations.
To be recognized as StormReady, a community must: establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center; have multiple ways to receive severe weather warnings and forecasts and to alert the public; create a system that monitors weather conditions locally; promote the importance of public readiness through community seminars; and, develop a formal hazardous weather plan, which includes training severe weather spotters and holding emergency exercises.
Being recognized as a StormReady community shows the great progress we have made to better protect and inform our citizens of weather risks,” said Adams County Emergency Management director Stan Owens. “The entire community should be proud of this achievement.”
To learn more about the StormReady program visit www.stormready.noaa.gov.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Inspectors find 'hot work' was cause of fatal explosion at fish plant
- Ground broken for new Hattiesburg Clinic facility