Levi Strauss, union work out new contract
Published: November 18,2009
CANTON — Distribution workers at Levi Strauss & Co. facilities in the United States and Canada have approved a new North America-wide contract with the company. More than 1,250 workers will be covered by the new contract.
The workers, members of the labor union Workers United, are employed at distribution centers in Canton as well as Hebron, Ky., Henderson, Nev., and Rexdale, Ontario, Canada. They voted in favor of a three-year contract that provides for wage increases, defined benefit pensions and health insurance.
“We’re pleased that our employees overwhelmingly supported an agreement that will keep good-paying jobs in our distribution facilities for the foreseeable future,” said Robert Hanson, President Levi Strauss Americas. “This endorsement of the new contract by our employees reflects the strong, long-term partnership between Levi Strauss & Co. and Workers United.”
“Our vision of a partnership – a collaboration – has led us to this moment,” said Andy Kennedy, a worker at the Canton facility and president of Workers United Local 2550.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast