Levi Strauss, union work out new contract
Published: November 18,2009
CANTON — Distribution workers at Levi Strauss & Co. facilities in the United States and Canada have approved a new North America-wide contract with the company. More than 1,250 workers will be covered by the new contract.
The workers, members of the labor union Workers United, are employed at distribution centers in Canton as well as Hebron, Ky., Henderson, Nev., and Rexdale, Ontario, Canada. They voted in favor of a three-year contract that provides for wage increases, defined benefit pensions and health insurance.
“We’re pleased that our employees overwhelmingly supported an agreement that will keep good-paying jobs in our distribution facilities for the foreseeable future,” said Robert Hanson, President Levi Strauss Americas. “This endorsement of the new contract by our employees reflects the strong, long-term partnership between Levi Strauss & Co. and Workers United.”
“Our vision of a partnership – a collaboration – has led us to this moment,” said Andy Kennedy, a worker at the Canton facility and president of Workers United Local 2550.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- MSU receives funding for two proposals aimed at boosting NASA missions