Alcorn hoping to recruit more Russians
LORMAN — More Russian students are expected to come to study at Alcorn State University (ASU) as a result of a recent visit by ASU president George E. Ross and a group of senior administrators to Voronezh, Russia.
Presidents of Alcorn State and Voronezh State Agricultural University (VSAU), one of the oldest agricultural schools of Russia, modified and extended the agreement of cooperation, which was signed by the two institutions in 2007. According to the agreement, ASU and VSAU will continue student and faculty exchange, initiate joint scientific research and develop a dual degree program, in which ASU and VSAU students would receive degrees from both institutions upon graduation. Several VSAU graduates and transfer students are currently enrolled at ASU.
“They have proven to be excellent scholars and talented individuals,” said Ross. “We invite more Russian students to pursue their education goals at Alcorn.”
In an effort to develop partnerships with more institutions and bring more students to the school, the delegation from ASU visited Voronezh State University (VSU), one of the leading higher learning institutions of Central Russia. Being the largest university in the region, VSU has about 22,000 students (VSAU has about 16,000) and a wide range of degree and research programs. The Alcorn group and VSU president discussed possibilities for mutually beneficial cooperation and even an idea of a three universities partnership (ASU-VSAU-VSU) was discussed during animated conversation. The three presidents charged its staff to work out the details of what each school can bring to the table to make the cooperation fruitful.
Talks were also had about creating the first Russian Alumni chapter, an idea expressed by the first Russian Alcorn alumnus Mikhail Frolov.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- News The Way You Want It!
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy