HBCUs taking the brunt of cuts
by For the MBJ
Published: November 23,2009
I think this idea (of merging Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University with Jackson State University) is utterly ridiculous!
If the budget needs adjusting, then why not start with some other colleges rather than the only three African-American colleges in the state. This suggested $35 million in savings in nothing compared to what could be saved if the state looked at some other alternatives.
Furthermore, it is ironic that these can’t be merged with Miss. State or Ole Miss and Mississippi College or withdrawing funds from some of the two-year colleges with minimal enrollment! I think this is classic Mississippi politics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics