HBCUs taking the brunt of cuts
by For the MBJ
Published: November 23,2009
I think this idea (of merging Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University with Jackson State University) is utterly ridiculous!
If the budget needs adjusting, then why not start with some other colleges rather than the only three African-American colleges in the state. This suggested $35 million in savings in nothing compared to what could be saved if the state looked at some other alternatives.
Furthermore, it is ironic that these can’t be merged with Miss. State or Ole Miss and Mississippi College or withdrawing funds from some of the two-year colleges with minimal enrollment! I think this is classic Mississippi politics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)