HBCUs taking the brunt of cuts
by For the MBJ
Published: November 23,2009
I think this idea (of merging Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University with Jackson State University) is utterly ridiculous!
If the budget needs adjusting, then why not start with some other colleges rather than the only three African-American colleges in the state. This suggested $35 million in savings in nothing compared to what could be saved if the state looked at some other alternatives.
Furthermore, it is ironic that these can’t be merged with Miss. State or Ole Miss and Mississippi College or withdrawing funds from some of the two-year colleges with minimal enrollment! I think this is classic Mississippi politics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Prescott leads field for Conerly Trophy as state's best football player
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- County to ask if it can use unspent hurricane recovery money
- BILL CRAWFORD: Bryant’s tax cut won’t stop spending growth
- UM Chancellor Jones: Lymphoma treatment going well