HBCUs taking the brunt of cuts
by For the MBJ
Published: November 23,2009
I think this idea (of merging Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University with Jackson State University) is utterly ridiculous!
If the budget needs adjusting, then why not start with some other colleges rather than the only three African-American colleges in the state. This suggested $35 million in savings in nothing compared to what could be saved if the state looked at some other alternatives.
Furthermore, it is ironic that these can’t be merged with Miss. State or Ole Miss and Mississippi College or withdrawing funds from some of the two-year colleges with minimal enrollment! I think this is classic Mississippi politics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015