HBCUs taking the brunt of cuts
by For the MBJ
Published: November 23,2009
I think this idea (of merging Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University with Jackson State University) is utterly ridiculous!
If the budget needs adjusting, then why not start with some other colleges rather than the only three African-American colleges in the state. This suggested $35 million in savings in nothing compared to what could be saved if the state looked at some other alternatives.
Furthermore, it is ironic that these can’t be merged with Miss. State or Ole Miss and Mississippi College or withdrawing funds from some of the two-year colleges with minimal enrollment! I think this is classic Mississippi politics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Inspectors find 'hot work' was cause of fatal explosion at fish plant
- Ground broken for new Hattiesburg Clinic facility