HBCUs taking the brunt of cuts
by For the MBJ
Published: November 23,2009
I think this idea (of merging Alcorn State University and Mississippi Valley State University with Jackson State University) is utterly ridiculous!
If the budget needs adjusting, then why not start with some other colleges rather than the only three African-American colleges in the state. This suggested $35 million in savings in nothing compared to what could be saved if the state looked at some other alternatives.
Furthermore, it is ironic that these can’t be merged with Miss. State or Ole Miss and Mississippi College or withdrawing funds from some of the two-year colleges with minimal enrollment! I think this is classic Mississippi politics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson
- Supermarket incentives for distressed communities die in House