State health officer Ed Thompson dies at 62
Ed Thompson, Mississippi’s state health officer and the state’s “top doctor”, has died after a lengthy battle with colon cancer. He was 62.
Thompson was first appointed to the position in 1993 and served for nine years, addressing key health concerns such as infant mortality, sexually transmitted diseases and the need for larger staffs in the public health sector. After serving for four years on the CDC’s Advisory Committee for Immunization Practice in Atlanta, Thompson returned to the Magnolia State in 2007 as the state’s interim state health officer before his re-appointment in 2007.
“Dr. Ed Thompson was an outstanding leader not only for the Mississippi State Department of Health, which he so faithfully served, but also nationally, where his medical expertise and counsel were highly respected,” Governor Haley Barbour said on Tuesday. “We were blessed to have him return to Mississippi in 2007 from the Centers for Disease Control for a second term as State Health Officer. His death is a tremendous loss for the state. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Marsha and his entire family during this difficult time.”
Thompson, a Wesson native, was also professor and chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson. He further served for ten years as Mississippi’s State Epidemiologist.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M