State health officer Ed Thompson dies at 62
Ed Thompson, Mississippi’s state health officer and the state’s “top doctor”, has died after a lengthy battle with colon cancer. He was 62.
Thompson was first appointed to the position in 1993 and served for nine years, addressing key health concerns such as infant mortality, sexually transmitted diseases and the need for larger staffs in the public health sector. After serving for four years on the CDC’s Advisory Committee for Immunization Practice in Atlanta, Thompson returned to the Magnolia State in 2007 as the state’s interim state health officer before his re-appointment in 2007.
“Dr. Ed Thompson was an outstanding leader not only for the Mississippi State Department of Health, which he so faithfully served, but also nationally, where his medical expertise and counsel were highly respected,” Governor Haley Barbour said on Tuesday. “We were blessed to have him return to Mississippi in 2007 from the Centers for Disease Control for a second term as State Health Officer. His death is a tremendous loss for the state. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Marsha and his entire family during this difficult time.”
Thompson, a Wesson native, was also professor and chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson. He further served for ten years as Mississippi’s State Epidemiologist.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015