NAFTA numbers still falling
Published: December 2,2009
Trade using surface transportation between the United States and its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners Canada and Mexico was 20.2 percent lower in Sept. 2009 than in Sept. 2008, dropping to $57.3 billion, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
BTS reported that the value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico rose 5.6 percent in Aug. 2009 from Sept. 2009. Month-to-month changes can be affected by seasonal variations and other factors.
The value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico in September was up 4.3 percent compared to Sept. 2004, and up 32.1 percent compared to Sept. 1999. Imports in September were up 27.2 percent compared to Sept. 1999, while exports were up 38.4 percent.
U.S.–Canada surface transportation trade totaled $34.8 billion in September, down 25.7 percent compared to Sept. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 24.5 percent lower in Sept. 2009 compared to Sept. 2008, while the value of exports carried by truck was 15.1 percent lower during this period.
U.S.–Mexico surface transportation trade totaled $22.5 billion in September, down 10 percent compared to Sept. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 7 percent lower in Sept. 2009 than Sept. 2008 while the value of exports carried by truck was 9 percent lower.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex