Stimulus-funded grants awarded by MDA
Published: December 3,2009
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) has awarded 25 grants in the first round of the Mississippi Job Protection through Energy Economic Development Program.
A part of the State Energy Program (SEP) funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), the Job Protection Program allocated $5.2 million to eligible companies in this round. Another $4.8 million worth of grants will be awarded in the second round tentatively scheduled for early 2010.
“As Mississippi strives to become more energy efficient and energy independent, we are seeking innovative ways to reduce energy consumption and spur economic growth,” said Gray Swoope, MDA’s executive director. “ARRA funding through the Mississippi Job Protection through Energy Economic Development Program provides Mississippi companies with the support they need to be more energy efficient, thus reducing operating costs. This leads to stabilizing current employment levels and, ultimately, will create new jobs.”
Under the program, eligible companies will be able to install energy efficiency upgrades and retrofits, such as lighting, HVAC, industrial systems and other items, yielding significant energy and cost savings. Grantees represent a cross-section of Mississippi’s business community: small businesses, large manufacturers and minority, woman-owned and veteran-owned firms from around the state. These companies are expected to see a combined estimated annual energy savings of nearly $3 million.
Through ARRA, the SEP provides $40.4 million to Mississippi for programs related to energy efficient buildings, market transformation and technology deployment and job protection through energy economic development. In Mississippi, the SEP provides assistance to both public and private entities to move the state toward greater energy efficiency, independence and sustainability while creating and preserving Mississippi jobs.
To view a full list of the grant recipients or for more information about this or other energy–related stimulus programs, visit stimulus.mississippi.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Stimulus-funded grants awarded by MDA”
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey