Stimulus-funded grants awarded by MDA
Published: December 3,2009
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) has awarded 25 grants in the first round of the Mississippi Job Protection through Energy Economic Development Program.
A part of the State Energy Program (SEP) funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), the Job Protection Program allocated $5.2 million to eligible companies in this round. Another $4.8 million worth of grants will be awarded in the second round tentatively scheduled for early 2010.
“As Mississippi strives to become more energy efficient and energy independent, we are seeking innovative ways to reduce energy consumption and spur economic growth,” said Gray Swoope, MDA’s executive director. “ARRA funding through the Mississippi Job Protection through Energy Economic Development Program provides Mississippi companies with the support they need to be more energy efficient, thus reducing operating costs. This leads to stabilizing current employment levels and, ultimately, will create new jobs.”
Under the program, eligible companies will be able to install energy efficiency upgrades and retrofits, such as lighting, HVAC, industrial systems and other items, yielding significant energy and cost savings. Grantees represent a cross-section of Mississippi’s business community: small businesses, large manufacturers and minority, woman-owned and veteran-owned firms from around the state. These companies are expected to see a combined estimated annual energy savings of nearly $3 million.
Through ARRA, the SEP provides $40.4 million to Mississippi for programs related to energy efficient buildings, market transformation and technology deployment and job protection through energy economic development. In Mississippi, the SEP provides assistance to both public and private entities to move the state toward greater energy efficiency, independence and sustainability while creating and preserving Mississippi jobs.
To view a full list of the grant recipients or for more information about this or other energy–related stimulus programs, visit stimulus.mississippi.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Stimulus-funded grants awarded by MDA”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity