DMR calls hearing on CSX project
MOSS POINT — The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (DMR) has scheduled a public hearing on a CSX Transportation Inc. project application for Dec. 10, at 6 p.m. at the Moss Point Riverfront Recreation Center.
CSX Transportation has filed an application with the DMR requesting permission to place multi-layer caps over areas containing residual polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which is a contaminant within the West Pascagoula River and Bayou Pierre. The proposed cap within the river would be about 1,250 feet long with a maximum width of 200 feet. The proposed cap within the bayou would be about 1,200 feet long and have a maximum width of 125 feet.
To avoid disturbing the navigational depths of the bayou, a portion of the bayou area will be dredged prior to capping. This dredging will be limited to the portion of the cap area east and just west of the Graveline Road bridge. A navigation channel 75 feet in length and 35 feet in width will be dredged through marsh vegetation to allow recreational craft to bypass the bayou oxbow west of Graveline Road.
The cap would comprise layers of reactive core mat, silty sand isolation layer, non-woven geotextile and poorly graded stone. The cap would then be overlaid with a veneer of fine sand and indigenous wetland vegetation within the intertidal zone to mitigate the 0.7 acre of tidal fringe wetland that will be affected by the project. The applicant proposes, once the capping process is complete, to install a bulkhead 125 feet in length beginning just east of the Graveline Road bridge and tied into the existing bulkhead on the property.
The project is located on Graveline Road in Gautier.
In compliance with Section 401 of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, the applicant will request certification from the Office of Pollution Control to ensure the project will be in compliance with applicable provisions and appropriate requirements of the state law.
Anyone wishing to make comments or objections to the proposed project must submit those comments in writing to the DMR at 1141 Bayview Ave., Biloxi MS 39530 and the Office of Pollution Control, P.O. Box 2261, Jackson MS 39225-2261 before 1 p.m. Dec. 10, or in person at the public hearing.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access