Cities see continued rise in unemployment
by Wally Northway
Published: December 7,2009
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — Unemployment rates were higher in October than a year earlier in all 372 metropolitan areas, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported. Fifteen areas recorded jobless rates of at least 15 percent, while 13 areas registered rates below 5 percent.
Among the 369 metropolitan areas for which non-farm payroll employment was available, 361 areas reported over-the-year decreases in employment.
In October, 124 metropolitan areas reported jobless rates of at least 10 percent, up from 13 areas a year earlier, while 75 areas posted rates below 7 percent, down from 280 areas in Oct. 2008.
Mississippi’s metropolitan statistical areas — Gulfport/Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Jackson and Pascagoula — all saw unemployment rate increases of roughly a half-percent compared to the prior month. Gulfport/Biloxi’s jobless rate was 7.9 percent, up from 7.3 percent in September. Hattiesburg’s jobless rate was 8.1 percent, up from 7.6 percent in September. Jackson’s jobless rate was 7.7 percent, up from 7.1 percent in September. And, Pascagoula’s jobless rate was 8.9 percent, up from 8.4 percent in September.
All of these rates were well up compared to Oct. 2008. In Oct. 2008, Gulfport/Biloxi’s jobless rate was 5.8 percent, Hattiesburg’s was 5.7 percent, Jackson’s was 5.8 percent and Pascagoula’s was 6.3 percent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- Texas company buys Tuscaloosa Marine Shale leases