Keeping Our Eye On: Jessica Russell
by Don Smith
Published: December 7,2009
Education: Bachelor of arts in advertising from the University of Southern Mississippi, 2005
Current Position: Copywriter at the GodwinGroup Advertising Agency in Jackson
Jessica Russell had two realizations while she was still in college. The first was in response to the “anywhere but here” attitude so many of her peers had about Mississippi. She realized she wanted to stay. “To give back to the place where I grew up, I wanted my talent to remain in Jackson, and I wanted to use it to help Mississippi businesses succeed,” says Russell.
Her second realization was that she wanted to use her talents in the advertising field. Unfortunately, this realization came about halfway through her junior year as a fine art major. But, within a few weeks (and the help of two very supportive parents) she changed her major, changed schools and headed in her new direction.
As an ad major, Russell hit the ground running, participating in various teams and receiving several honors while still in college. Since graduating, Russell has joined the GodwinGroup in Jackson, where she enjoys working with “an incredibly talented team.”
“It’s such a rush to help tackle our clients’ toughest marketing challenges with creative, compelling solutions,” says Russell. “It never gets old.”
Mississippi’s best-kept secret: The Mississippi Symphonic Community Band! They do the most lively performances about once a quarter at the Belhaven College Center for the Arts — and they’re free!
Must-have Mississippi food: The house vinaigrette from Lillo’s, a family-owned Italian restaurant in Leland. You can buy it by the case…and after one taste, you will.
Favorite hangout: It only lasts eight days out of the year, but anything can happen at the Neshoba County Fair.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Keeping Our Eye On: Jessica Russell”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Cochran calls on EPA for review of Yazoo Backwater Project
- State Sen. Gandy hospitalized in South America
- Number of requests for general election absentee ballots roughly same as primary
- Camgian launches Internet of Things product called Egburt
- Former Mississippi First Lady Carroll Waller dies at 87
- After string of losses, O'Hara sees himself as Senate 'protest vote'