Keeping Our Eye On: Laura Mann
by Don Smith
Published: December 21,2009
Tags: Big Brothers Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, Home Front to Battlefront: Mississippi During WWII, Keeping Our Eye On, Laura Mann, Mississippi Public Broadcasting, Pine Belt Animal Shelter, Southern Expressions, Toys for Tots, University of Southern Mississippi
Education: Bachelor of arts in mass communication and journalism, University of Southern Mississippi
Current Position: Producer and director for Mississippi Public Broadcasting
Laura Mann’s parents always told her she could be anything she wanted. “When I told them I wanted to be a professional soccer player, they were on board,” says Mann. Undaunted when her dreams of playing under the lights were dashed, Mann set out to become a sideline sports reporter.
But when entering her field in college, Mann found herself switching sides of the production. “I realized my love of being behind the scenes and piecing together a project far outweighed being in front of the camera,” says Mann.
Now working as a producer and director for Mississippi Public Broadcasting, Mann is currently producing the program “Southern Expressions” and recently associate produced the documentary “Home Front to Battlefront: Mississippi During WWII.” Mann says the documentary “afforded me the opportunity to travel all around Mississippi and delve into the lives of some of Mississippi’s finest.” Mann says her job at MPB gives her the chance to “work with some of the most creative people in the business who all come together to educate, entertain and enlighten Mississippians.”
Mississippi’s best-kept secret: Mississippi has some of the finest artists in the world, many whose work can be seen at the Craftsmen’s Guild of Mississippi. The Guild also offers classes and incredible demonstrations from the artists.
Must-have Mississippi food: Letha’s BBQ in Hattiesburg has the best ribs and pulled pork, and the BBQ sauce is amazing.
Favorite hangout: I adore Underground 119 in downtown Jackson. It has a great atmosphere and always features live blues and jazz bands.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Keeping Our Eye On: Laura Mann”
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Cannabis for the rest of us
- MARTY WISEMAN: The current racial strife and the failure to educate
- BILL CRAWFORD: Boyce takes hot spot as IHL commissioner
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- Planters Bank promotes at 3 locations
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Real Estate Forum panelists: Lenders, investors hungry for deals on residential rentals in Miss., elsewhere
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur