Barbour sets special election
Published: January 6,2010
CENTRAL MISSISSIPPI — Gov. Haley Barbour has set a Feb. 16 special election date for the District 36 vacancy in the State Senate. The district includes Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds and Jefferson counties.
The qualifying deadline for the election is Jan. 15. If a run-off is necessary, it will be held March 9.
The office became open after Barbour appointed Vincent Davis to serve as 17th District Chancery Court Judge. Davis resigned his Senate seat Dec. 8. There are two years remaining in the current term of office.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast