Clerks plead guilty to embezzlement
by Wally Northway
Published: January 6,2010
In two separate cases of embezzlement investigated by the State Auditor’s Office, Michelle Sharpley, 34, former municipal court clerk of Taylorsville, and Bridget Lark, 36, former deputy circuit clerk of Tate County, have entered a plea of guilty on the charge of embezzlement.
Sharpley pled guilty to embezzling $6,041.63 during a nine-month period from the Town of Taylorsville Utility District. She was ordered to make restitution in the amount of $6,452.77 to the town and $3,226.39 to the State Auditor’s Office for investigative costs. She was also ordered to pay $340.50 in court costs and assessments. Sharpley received five years probation.
Lark pled guilty to embezzling $5,223 by not depositing or receipting funds from the marriage license fees paid to the county. She was ordered to make restitution in the amount of $5,223 to Tate County and pay $2,406 to the State Auditor’s Office for investigative costs. She must also pay of a fine of $500, a payment of $100 to the Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund and $461.74 in court costs and assessments. Lark has already paid $950 towards her restitution to Tate County. The Court withheld acceptance of the plea for five years.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide