NAFTA numbers continue nosedive
Trade using surface transportation between the United States and its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners Canada and Mexico was 15.5 percent lower in Oct. 2009 than in Oct. 2008, dropping to $61.4 billion, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
BTS reports that the value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico rose 7.2 percent in Oct. 2009 from Sept. 2009. Month-to-month changes can be affected by seasonal variations and other factors.
The value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico in October was up 7.9 percent compared to Oct. 2004, and up 34.7 percent compared to Oct. 1999. Imports in October were up 31.9 percent compared to Oct. 1999, while exports were up 38.1 percent.
U.S.–Canada surface transportation trade totaled $36.3 billion in October, down 19 percent compared to Oct. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 15.8 percent lower in Oct. 2009 compared to Oct. 2008, while the value of exports carried by truck was 9.5 percent lower during this period.
U.S.–Mexico surface transportation trade totaled $25.1 billion in October, down 10 percent compared to Oct. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 4.2 percent lower in Oct. 2009 than Oct. 2008 while the value of exports carried by truck was 13.5 percent lower.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics