NAFTA numbers continue nosedive
Trade using surface transportation between the United States and its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners Canada and Mexico was 15.5 percent lower in Oct. 2009 than in Oct. 2008, dropping to $61.4 billion, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
BTS reports that the value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico rose 7.2 percent in Oct. 2009 from Sept. 2009. Month-to-month changes can be affected by seasonal variations and other factors.
The value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico in October was up 7.9 percent compared to Oct. 2004, and up 34.7 percent compared to Oct. 1999. Imports in October were up 31.9 percent compared to Oct. 1999, while exports were up 38.1 percent.
U.S.–Canada surface transportation trade totaled $36.3 billion in October, down 19 percent compared to Oct. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 15.8 percent lower in Oct. 2009 compared to Oct. 2008, while the value of exports carried by truck was 9.5 percent lower during this period.
U.S.–Mexico surface transportation trade totaled $25.1 billion in October, down 10 percent compared to Oct. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 4.2 percent lower in Oct. 2009 than Oct. 2008 while the value of exports carried by truck was 13.5 percent lower.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast