Barbour sets special election for DA
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — Gov. Haley Barbour has set a Nov. 2 special election date for the 11th Circuit District Attorney vacancy. The district includes Bolivar, Coahoma, Quitman and Tunica counties.
The qualifying deadline for the election is Sept. 3. If a run-off is necessary, it will be held Nov. 23.
The office became open after District Attorney Laurence Y. Mellen resigned Dec. 31, 2009. The Governor’s Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee will recommend a temporary replacement to Barbour, who will make the appointment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful