Barbour sets special election for DA
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — Gov. Haley Barbour has set a Nov. 2 special election date for the 11th Circuit District Attorney vacancy. The district includes Bolivar, Coahoma, Quitman and Tunica counties.
The qualifying deadline for the election is Sept. 3. If a run-off is necessary, it will be held Nov. 23.
The office became open after District Attorney Laurence Y. Mellen resigned Dec. 31, 2009. The Governor’s Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee will recommend a temporary replacement to Barbour, who will make the appointment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue