Barbour sets special election for DA
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — Gov. Haley Barbour has set a Nov. 2 special election date for the 11th Circuit District Attorney vacancy. The district includes Bolivar, Coahoma, Quitman and Tunica counties.
The qualifying deadline for the election is Sept. 3. If a run-off is necessary, it will be held Nov. 23.
The office became open after District Attorney Laurence Y. Mellen resigned Dec. 31, 2009. The Governor’s Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee will recommend a temporary replacement to Barbour, who will make the appointment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge
- Real estate company paying $1M for compromising wetlands
- Nullification and interposition
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Authorities: Suspect in ricin-laced letters case appeared to try to run
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections