Barbour sets special election for DA
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — Gov. Haley Barbour has set a Nov. 2 special election date for the 11th Circuit District Attorney vacancy. The district includes Bolivar, Coahoma, Quitman and Tunica counties.
The qualifying deadline for the election is Sept. 3. If a run-off is necessary, it will be held Nov. 23.
The office became open after District Attorney Laurence Y. Mellen resigned Dec. 31, 2009. The Governor’s Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee will recommend a temporary replacement to Barbour, who will make the appointment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager