Barbour sets special election for DA
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — Gov. Haley Barbour has set a Nov. 2 special election date for the 11th Circuit District Attorney vacancy. The district includes Bolivar, Coahoma, Quitman and Tunica counties.
The qualifying deadline for the election is Sept. 3. If a run-off is necessary, it will be held Nov. 23.
The office became open after District Attorney Laurence Y. Mellen resigned Dec. 31, 2009. The Governor’s Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee will recommend a temporary replacement to Barbour, who will make the appointment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip