Number of unemployed holds steady
Non-farm payroll employment edged down (-85,000) in December, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 10 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
Employment fell in construction, manufacturing and wholesale trade, while temporary help services and healthcare added jobs.
Both the number of unemployed persons, at 15.3 million, and the unemployment rate, at 10 percent, were unchanged. At the start of the recession in Dec. 2007, the number of unemployed persons was 7.7 million, and the unemployment rate was 5 percent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal