Number of unemployed holds steady
Non-farm payroll employment edged down (-85,000) in December, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 10 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
Employment fell in construction, manufacturing and wholesale trade, while temporary help services and healthcare added jobs.
Both the number of unemployed persons, at 15.3 million, and the unemployment rate, at 10 percent, were unchanged. At the start of the recession in Dec. 2007, the number of unemployed persons was 7.7 million, and the unemployment rate was 5 percent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- MDA to lead delegation on mission to Europe
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout