Number of unemployed holds steady
Non-farm payroll employment edged down (-85,000) in December, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 10 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
Employment fell in construction, manufacturing and wholesale trade, while temporary help services and healthcare added jobs.
Both the number of unemployed persons, at 15.3 million, and the unemployment rate, at 10 percent, were unchanged. At the start of the recession in Dec. 2007, the number of unemployed persons was 7.7 million, and the unemployment rate was 5 percent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Ford Foundation gives to UM for new science building
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete