Number of unemployed holds steady
Non-farm payroll employment edged down (-85,000) in December, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 10 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
Employment fell in construction, manufacturing and wholesale trade, while temporary help services and healthcare added jobs.
Both the number of unemployed persons, at 15.3 million, and the unemployment rate, at 10 percent, were unchanged. At the start of the recession in Dec. 2007, the number of unemployed persons was 7.7 million, and the unemployment rate was 5 percent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Inspectors find 'hot work' was cause of fatal explosion at fish plant
- Ground broken for new Hattiesburg Clinic facility