State of the State address postponed until Monday
Governor Barbour announced this afternoon that his State of the State address, originally scheduled for Thursday evening, has been postponed until Monday at 6 p.m.
In a press release issued by his office, Barbour said the City of Jackson’s water service issues would make it difficult for his address to a joint session of the Mississippi Legislature to move forward tomorrow.
Even though the Capitol has been without water most of this week, lawmakers have stayed in session. Portable restrooms have been set up in the north parking lot of the Capitol. Normal business will resume at the Capitol tomorrow but Friday’s schedule is still up in the air, said Mick Bullock, spokesman for Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant. State agencies have been closed since Monday afternoon, when large swaths of Jackson started experiencing water outages. Barbour also said that State agencies will remain closed tomorrow.
The frigid temperatures the area has shivered through the past two weeks have wreaked havoc on Jackson’s aging infrastructure, with water cascading out of the ground and rushing down city streets. Much of it froze as the temperatures hovered at or below freezing. Utility crews from Jackson and other cities, along with crews from theMississippi Department of Transportation, have worked around the clock to repair the breaks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove