Keeping Our Eye On: Lauren Parkin
by Stephen McDill
Published: January 18,2010
Education: BS in business administration (marketing), Mississippi College
Current Position: Director of Education and Communication, Independent Insurance Agents of Mississippi
Parkin, a lifelong resident of Mississippi, started working for Independent Insurance Agents of Mississippi (IIAM) straight out of college. As their education and communications director, she says that her job encompasses, “the things I enjoy most… art, writing and politics, as well as, my marketing degree.”
“The IIAM has over 270 member agencies located throughout the state,” Parkin says. “We provide services such as education, communication, lobbying and networking events to our members.”
Parkin says that she never has two days that are the same from setting up continuing education classes to working on the association’s magazine, Mississippi Agent. Before her days at IIAM, she served as a campaign worker for John Bell Crosby For Supervisor in Madison and also interned for Mayor Mary Hawkins Butler.
While an undergraduate at Mississippi College, Parkin was a member of the National Honors Society, Who’s Who, Mortar Board and was a secretary/treasurer for Alpha Lambda Delta. She was also News Editor of The Mississippi Collegian. Parkin attends First Baptist Church in Jackson.
Mississippi’s best-kept secret: Our generous people who are always giving of their time and money.
Must-have Mississippi food: The cheesecake and chocolate and strawberries at the Strawberry Café in Madison.
Favorite hangout: My apartment with friends.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Keeping Our Eye On: Lauren Parkin”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data