Canada holds interest rate
TORONTO, Canada — Canada’s central bank is holding its key interest rate at a record low 0.25 percent and is reiterating its expectation that it will keep the rate there until the middle of this year.
The Bank of Canada said today that while a global economic recovery is under way it continues to depend on exceptional monetary and fiscal stimulus, as well as extraordinary measures taken to support financial systems.
The rate decision was expected.
The bank also says the persistent strength of the Canadian dollar and low U.S. demand for Canadian exports continue to act as significant drags on economic activity in Canada.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Medical transportation company opening operation/call center
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K